After Kevin Spacey verdict, accuser Anthony Rapp vows to ‘fight for accountability’
In an explosive interview in The New York Times, Anthony Rapp, star of the TV drama How to Get Away With Murder, says he was sexually assaulted by Kevin Spacey when he was 18 – a claim that will be difficult to prove.
Rapp, who plays a gay man on the show, alleged he was sexually assaulted by Spacey in 1986, when he was a 17-year-old college student.
Speaking to the New York Times, Rapp told the truth was ‘pretty tough’ to tell.
Actors including Matthew McConaughey and Kevin Spacey have had multiple allegations relating to sexual misconduct brought against them
‘I was sexually assaulted,’ Rapp said in an interview. ‘I don’t think it was anything like that. I don’t think it was rape. I don’t think it was unwanted sex.’
As he told the New York Times: ‘It was definitely a violation of my body, but not a sexual assault.’
Rapp said his initial accusation had been ignored by Spacey, who has since paid him for his role on the show.
‘He tried to make it like a rape,’ he continued. ‘You’re not gonna have me going to the Times saying that Kevin Spacey tried to make it into something more than what it was. But that’s the truth.’
The Times report comes just 10 days after Time magazine featured a powerful piece of criticism about the #MeToo movement, which has led to the resignation of more than 30 powerful men in Hollywood and beyond.
Time also published a letter from one of the most prominent men in Hollywood and the media, Mark Thompson, founder of the news website ProPublica.
In the letter, filed on October 21, Thompson writes